Monday, February 26, 2007

The Elements

After the screening of the Film Manipulation assignment I was amazed on what an amazing job everybody did. My partner on this project was John Marshall and we split the elements between us. I gave him the option of picking the 2 elements he wanted and he chose Fire and Water. He said he wanted to draw a design over the entire strip of the two film strips and then cover it with a magazine transfer. We met one morning to work on the film strips and used Sharpies to draw what we wanted on the film. He used tribal looking designs up and down the strip while I integrated designs with sequential drawings to simulate an object moving along with words spelled out across different frames. For Wind, I used a tree blowing back and forth and a tornado spinning furiously. For Earth, I drew the planet earth spinning around on its axis and grass in a field. After that meeting we completed the project on our own. I used magazine transfers to cover the remaining portion of the film strip that had not been manipulated. I then bought acrylic markers and drew over the magazine transfers and over some of the previously painted strip.
After screening the spliced together film as a whole representation of the elements I was pleased with what I saw on screen. Earth and Wind went first and the tree looked like it was moving in a gust of wind, the tornado looked like it was spinning, and the earth looked like it was in space. It was hard to draw the planet earth on a single frame for 15 consecutive frames, but when it was shown I believe the image was received as being earth. Fire and Water came next and it looked excellent as well. John and I both agreed that we wanted to see the drawings that were covered by the magazine transfers. After we saw it on screen we both figured that a better idea would have been to do the magazine transfer and then draw the design over it. Overall I was impressed by the creativity of the class. It was a great project that I might do on my own outside of class.

No comments: